Last time, we were on our way to China. We took the KCR line to Lo Wu (Hong Kong), where we went through immigration and came out from the building into Shenzhen (China). We waited for Steven's friend, Cecil, to meet us. He was a friend that Steven met when he was here before and helped us make our way to Guilin/Yangshuo. There is very little English to read in mainland China and we were grateful for his help.
While Steven and Cecil went to buy our train tickets to Guilin, I waited in the bus station (like I said - there was very little English - and we thought we might be in the right place). I was sitting in the waiting area while they were gone, and people started to gather around one man, who appeared to be sleeping. Policemen and other government workers also started to surround this man, who was now on the floor, when I looked back at them. I thought he might be dead, and I think this was maybe the consensus of those around him as well. I also thought this situation was perhaps not the best as my introduction to China! In the end, they were able to make him wake, and with reluctancy by the man, the policemen were able to usher him out. It was very interesting to see how he was treated...not much compassion or sympathy.
Finally, Steven and Cecil came back from purchasing the tickets and we found a restaurant to eat at before our train departed. At 6:05 p.m., Steven and I boarded T38 to Guilin. This was a 16-hour train ride and we were glad when we arrived (we did buy soft sleeper tickets, so were were able to sleep during this long trip). Steven had a young woman stop to talk to him and she was able to direct us to the right bus to Yangshuo. Drivers here take a lot of risks and we either held hands tightly or closed our eyes, but only when we were paying attention to the road. The scenery is so beautiful! We also had a man stop us when we arrived, and he happened to be selling us on his hotel, which was the hotel we were already booked to stay in. We boarded some three-wheeled, canvas covered automotive device with all of our luggage, and were whisked (or puttered) away to our hotel.
The Riverside Retreat couldn't be more perfect! Our third-level room has very large windows that overlook Yangshuo and its rising peaks. We will do our best to provide pictures (we forgot the cord at home)! There aren't enough words to describe this beautiful Chinese landscape.
Today, we are off to explore the town of Yangshuo...
Bethany and Steven