Thursday, January 28, 2010

Estamos en Cuzco

I think mostly in spanish now. Speaking is a different story.

Yesterday we tore ourselves away from our family and headed out late to Lima. This morning we caught a plane to Cuzco, a city of about 500 years. This is where the ancient Inca empire flourished before the Spaniards came in and took over. As mentioned before, the main attraction (Machu Picchu) is out of the picture because of major flooding, but it looks as though the other local Inca treasures are still open including the Sacsayhuaman and the Sacred Valley.

Since we are at 11,000 ft, it has been advisable to take it easy today. We flew in around noon and went to our hotel and took a nap for a few hours while we acclimatised. Slight headaches for both of us and shortness of breath but we are adjusting just fine. In the morning we´ll be ready for our first adventure.

And I must add that I ate alpaca stew tonight for dinner with bananas. The alpaca wasn´t bad to speak of, but there was some root in there that threw the whole concoction for me...